6.12.2017

How to Dress Well on a Budget

I don't know how many times I've been surfing Pinterest and came across the cutest dress or top, only to find out the cost and file it under the "maybe someday" board. However, dressing stylishly can be accessible for any budget as long as you plan well! I have a few tips to help you find your fashion sense and purchase affordable clothes that fit your style! Lets get started, shall we...


tip one: know your style

My first (and arguably most important) tip is to know your fashion sense! Having a keen sense of your own style can help you narrow down what clothing you purchase and help save wasted money on items you won't wear. My advice would be to start a Pinterest board with outfits and pieces you love to gain some inspiration. You could even cut out pictures from magazines and collect those! Once you curate a sense of style that reflects your personality, you can begin to shop frugally. Also, that Pinterest board can help you find knockoffs of expensive items! For example, the skirt I'm wearing here was a much cheaper version of one I saw online! If you want to see how I styled it, I did a whole post on it here.

tip two: fast fashion

The entire look pictured above (minus the shoes) came from Forever 21, which is known for its low prices (and sometimes cringe-worthy looks). As fast fashion becomes more and more prevalent, stores like Forever 21 can offer adorable pieces at unbeatable prices. My tip when it comes to stores like these is to know what you are looking for. Most of the time, the quality will be very low and the pieces won't last too long. However, you can occasionally stumble upon some great pieces that hold up in the real world. I find that pieces made from simple fabrics (no silk, velvet, or bedazzled pieces) will stand the test of time. In fact, I still have a t-shirt dress from my freshman year that held up and is still adorable! Another point I would like to make about stores like Forever 21 is that they are perfect for trying out trends (if that's your thing). The cheap pieces are ideal for testing out a new look without a large monetary commitment. For staple pieces, though, I try to buy them from nicer stores so they will last longer.

tip three: thrifting and selling your old clothes

As older trends are becoming the new, thrifting has became something everyone is doing! I have found some killer pieces in my local thrift shops lately and for great prices, too. This form of shopping is not only cheap but eco-conscious as well. Thrifting reduces the amount of clothing waste put into landfills which is always a good thing! Also, thrift shopping can lead you to some unique pieces that no department store will carry. In terms of selling your old clothes, it's a fantastic way to earn a little extra cash! I have been doing this forever and it keeps my closet cleaned out and only filled with stuff I truly want to wear. I just simply pick out my older pieces that are in the best condition and give them to my local consignment store. They then sell my pieces and give me a percentage of the profit! It's a really simple and easy way to make money!

tip four: do you really want it?

My last tip for frugal fashion is to ask yourself before you purchase any piece if you really, truly love it. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy anything you don't feel beautiful in. You won't wear it and it'll be a waste of your money. If you do love it, consider the items currently in your closet and make sure that you could actually create several looks with the new piece. If so, it would be a great addition to your wardrobe!

I hope you enjoyed this post and found it helpful! If you did, tell me on Instagram!

XOXO,
Sadie


1 comment :